What is a Peer / Guide?
A peer / guide on the Charpsy social network is someone with lived experience of a mental health issue.
Who Can be a Peer / Guide
To be a successful peer / guide on the social network you will need to have the following qualities*:
- integration of your experiences of mental distress into your life so you see value in them and do not feel ashamed or disempowered,
- ability to think critically and reflect on what you do and why you do it, and be capable of making judgements based on reasonable possibilities,
- having values consistent with the peer values of Charpsy,
- having a good understanding of marginalisation issues, exclusion and discrimination,
- being empathetic, emotionally mature and objective, and
- being skilled at utilising personal lived experience purposefully to support people in recovery and to develop more empathetic service practices.
- Qualities as indicated (adjusted) in the Australian publication: Peer Work in Australia | A New Future for Mental Health.
Other Profile Types
Profile type is different to membership type. See more on membership type.
Change My Profile Type
Change my profile type to Carer, Friend and / or Family. Complete the form.